From our offices in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Delaware, Indiana, Los Angeles, Michigan, Minneapolis, Ohio and Washington, D.C., we assist more than 300 trade associations, professional associations, foundations, museums, symphony orchestras, clubs, universities, health care organizations, credit unions, and other non-profit, tax-exempt organizations in realizing their particular corporate purposes while allowing them to operate effectively and efficiently.
We represent our non-profit organization clients by:
- Creating, updating and revising articles of incorporation, bylaws, policy manuals and other organizational documents.
- Obtaining and maintaining tax exempt status on the federal, state and local level, and assisting in maintaining such status.
- Representing them in federal and state antitrust matters before the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission and other entities.
- Representing their interests before federal, state, legislative and regulatory bodies including lobbying and political action committees.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts with vendors for a variety of products and services.
- Assisting them in all aspects of fundraising including charitable solicitation standards, planned giving and charitable gaming compliance.
- Forming not-for-profit affiliated entities and for-profit subsidiaries and joint ventures, and addressing any associated unrelated business income issues.
- Producing license agreements for the distribution of products.
- Drafting and negotiating web development, licensing and other technology-related agreements.
- Assisting qualifying 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations in financing capital projects on a tax-exempt basis.
Our areas of focus for our non-profit clients are:
- Copyright, Trademark and other Intellectual Property
- Corporate Transactions
- Labor and Employment
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Practice
- Tax Issues
- Technology Licensing
Our attorneys work with clients to achieve their particular goals in the most efficient and cost-effective manner. We strive to provide high quality legal advice and services to help advance the missions to which our non-profit clients are dedicated. Members of the Association and Foundation Practice Group work with attorneys in other practices who bring a wide variety of experience in transaction and litigation issues to the service of non-profit organizations.