Protecting Business Policyholders
For more than 30 years, the attorneys of Barnes & Thornburg's Insurance Recovery and Counseling team have helped businesses navigate disputes with their insurance companies. Our clients range from Fortune 100 companies to small privately held businesses, and the matters we handle span complex national counsel engagements to discrete coverage disputes. We advise companies on the insurance implications of business transactions. We work behind the scenes to help businesses avoid potential coverage disputes. And we help resolve coverage disputes through focused negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation.
We represent policyholders across the nation in a wide variety of industries, including agribusiness, banking and financial services, construction, information technology, life sciences, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, real estate, transportation and more.
Counseling and Advocacy
Barnes & Thornburg’s ability to help protect the rights of business policyholders isn’t limited to the courtroom. In addition to vigorously advocating for our policyholder clients’ rights when a coverage dispute arises, we help our clients identify and resolve potential insurance issues before they ever lead to a coverage dispute by providing guidance and counseling at all stages of the insurance procurement, renewal, and claim processes.
As part of our comprehensive approach to meeting our policyholder clients’ needs, we regularly:
- Advise policyholders on procurement issues and insurance programs, including assistance with policy negotiation and placement
- Counsel clients on the scope of their coverage
- Advise policyholders on the insurance implications of corporate transactions
- Work with policyholders to identify legacy policies that may provide coverage for various types of claims
- Advise policyholders on their rights and obligations in the event of a claim
- Coordinate with clients’ brokers regarding the presentation of the claim to the insurance company and negotiations with the insurance company
- Represent and counsel policyholders where reservation of rights have been issued
- Counsel policyholders during the insurance company’s claim investigation and loss-adjustment process
- Work with policyholders and experts in submitting proofs of loss and other documents in support of first-party claims
- Coordinate coverage issues among multiple claimants, parties, policy years, product lines, and multiple layers of coverage
- File suit against insurance companies to obtain payment of disputed claims
- Defend declaratory judgment actions filed by insurance companies
- Counsel clients on reinsurance issues
- Work with clients on complex domestic and international insurance insolvencies
- Advise clients on identifying and submitting claims under lost policies
- Serve as arbitrators in coverage disputes
- Lobby in support of business policyholder rights and interests to state insurance commissioners, chambers of commerce, state legislatures, trade and professional organizations, industry associations, and legal organizations