Our IP professionals have long-standing working relationships with multiple firms and attorneys in many countries; we know the strengths of each and are not beholden to any one firm. Together with our international colleagues, our services to companies around the world include:
- Preparing and prosecuting patent and trademark applications
- Assisting with intellectual property transfers
- Managing patent and trademark portfolios
- Advising on IP aspects of mergers, acquisitions and divestitures
- Litigating patent, trademark, copyright, trade dress, and trade secret cases
- Counseling on franchising and product distribution
- Providing technology-related services through our Business and Technology Group (BTech)
- Assisting with antitrust, compliance and trade regulation
Barnes & Thornburg attorneys have broad experience representing large or growing portfolios of international IP rights. We know how to efficiently and effectively orchestrate the pieces into a cohesive strategy, and how to communicate developments to our clients with brevity and insight.
We have experience formulating international patent portfolios to help ensure that:
- Valuable proprietary rights are protected
- Supply chain and partnership relationships are solidified
- Market encroachment of competitors and would-be competitors is avoided
- IP mining and prosecution activities conform with relevant export control regulations
Working with many different kinds and sizes of companies, we are experienced in providing many different levels of sophisticated legal services. Clients often outsource their IP work to us and we become their entire IP team. Other clients call on our attorneys and legal professionals to provide targeted assistance to support a legal department's efforts. Or we provide support on specific matters, all focused on helping you develop and execute your global IP strategy and leaving you free to concentrate on your mission.
We also leverage our memberships in TerraLex and attendance at international IP conferences like those of the International Trademark Association, TerraLex, American Intellectual Property Law Association, Intellectual Property Owners Association and the International Bar Association to stay on top of developments in active regions of the world.