We are also extremely familiar with Indiana's new options to use a future test year, an historic test year or a hybrid test period in rate cases, having been counsel in the first two future test year cases and the first hybrid test period case ever filed with the IURC.
We have considerable experience involving:
- Fair rate of return and fair value of rate base
- Depreciation studies and rates
- Cost of service and rate design
- Capital structure
- Excess capacity challenges
- Retirement and premature retirements accounting
- Stranded cost recovery
- Ratemaking treatment of income tax, consolidated income tax and deferred income tax
- Allowance for funds used during construction
Our practice is not limited to commission-regulated utilities. Customer appeals of rate ordinances adopted by municipalities that have withdrawn from commission jurisdiction are occurring with greater frequency. Such appeals are tried to the local circuit or superior court and we have tried many rate challenges. Most notably, our group represented the municipality at trial and on appeal in the seminal Indiana Supreme Court opinion regarding challenges to rates of non-regulated utilities.
Beyond general rate cases, the attorneys in the practice group have also been involved in numerous proceedings related to utility system improvement charges, environmental compliance and cost recovery, power plant acquisition and construction, demand-side management and energy efficiency, regional transmission organization charges, and fuel and gas cost adjustment proceedings.