Robert J. Boller, partner-in-charge of the firm’s New York office, is an experienced commercial litigator who helps clients resolve disputes with counterparties, partners, insurers, regulators, and governmental authorities. Rob provides strategic advice tailored to help clients achieve their business goals as well as prospective guidance to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Rob focuses primarily on guiding investment managers and financial services companies through contentious disputes, typically arising out of complex financial transactions and investment activities. Rob also advises clients on the use of litigation to drive investment or business outcomes.
On a day-to-day basis, Rob advises clients on issues related to fiduciary duties, securities transactions and disclosures, purchase and sale agreements, debt instruments, real estate financings, and claims analysis.
Rob’s recent experience includes:
- Represented fund of funds manager in dispute with investment manager
- Represent large investment manager in connection with federal criminal investigation related to investment activities
- Routinely represents institutional investors and investment managers in litigation related to bankruptcy claims
- Represented the Founder and Chief Investment Officer of investment adviser in connection with the wind down and liquidation of various domestic and Cayman Island investment vehicles
- Obtained dissolution of ex parte TRO and denial of preliminary injunction motion against an investment manager and various affiliates arising from the restructuring of an investment fund
- Represented portfolio manager and senior investment team members of large investment manager in investigation related to personal investments and adherence to internal compliance procedures
- Represented investment manager in defense of discrimination and retaliation claims asserted by departing partner
- Represented investment manager in litigation attempting to invalidate restrictive covenant agreement
- Represented international investment bank in connection with whistleblower claims brought by former employee
- Represented international investment bank in resolution of employment discrimination claims brought by former employee
- Represented large distressed investment adviser in dispute with investors arising from the partnership’s liquidation and secondary sale of remaining assets to a third party private equity investor*
- Represented large investment manager in dispute with seed investor regarding partnership wind down*
- Obtained a temporary restraining order on behalf of investors seeking to enjoin a highly dilutive and value-destructive corporate transaction*
- Represented limited partners of a large private equity fund in litigation with the general partner over management fees*
- Advised an international investment bank in connection with a joint SEC/DOJ FCPA investigation*
- Represented an international investment bank in litigation arising from the sale of a $300 million mortgage portfolio and related interest rate swaps*
*These matters occurred prior to joining Barnes & Thornburg.
Professional and Community Involvement
Trustee, Brooklyn Jesuit Prep
Member, Cristo Rey New York High School Advisory Committee
The Legal 500 US, General Commercial Disputes, 2019
Outstanding Pro Bono Representation Award, New York Legal Aid Society
Commitment to Justice Award, Her Justice (formerly inMotion)