As partner in charge of the New York City office, Rob Boller is an experienced commercial litigator who skillfully helps clients resolve disputes with counterparties, partners, insurers, regulators, and governmental authorities. He provides tailored advice to aid clients in achieving their business goals and prospective guidance to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Rob focuses primarily on guiding investment managers and financial services companies through contentious disputes, typically arising out of complex financial transactions and investment activities. Rob also advises on clients on the use of litigation to drive investment or business outcomes.
On a day-to-day basis, Rob advises clients on issues related to fiduciary duties, securities transactions and disclosures, purchase and sale agreements, debt covenants, real estate financings, and claims analysis.
Rob’s recent experience includes:
- Defeated a motion for temporary restraining order seeking to preclude investment fund clients from participating in a corporate proxy contest
- Obtained a temporary restraining order on behalf of investors seeking to enjoin a highly dilutive and value-destructive corporate transaction
- Represented a private equity fund portfolio company in litigation arising from an asset purchase
- Represented limited partners of a large private equity fund in litigation with the general partner over management fees
- Advised an international investment bank in connection with a joint SEC/DOJ FCPA investigation
- Represented an international investment bank in litigation arising from the sale of a $300 million mortgage portfolio and related interest rate swaps
- Advised a group of senior managers on their departure from a major international real estate firm
- Served as litigation counsel to official and ad hoc committees of creditors in multiple large Chapter 11 cases
- Represented board of directors of public company in dispute regarding availability of D&O insurance coverage in connection with DOJ investigation and settlement
*These matters occurred prior to joining Barnes & Thornburg.
Professional and Community Involvement
Trustee, Brooklyn Jesuit Prep
Member, Cristo Rey New York High School Advisory Committee
The Legal 500 US, General Commercial Disputes, 2019
Outstanding Pro Bono Representation Award, New York Legal Aid Society
Commitment to Justice Award, Her Justice (formerly inMotion)