Intellectual property law counselor, prosecutor and litigator Michael Wever advises on the strategic development and management of patent and trademark portfolios in the U.S. and worldwide, rendering opinions on patent and trademark infringement, validity and avoidance, licensing, open source risk management, and IP litigation.
Michael counsels startup entities, universities and established companies in a wide range of industries. His clients operate in fields that include software design, computer technology, automotive manufacturing, medical devices, sporting goods, building products and financial services. He has written and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications and has a deep understanding of effective strategies for protecting software, complex electromechanical and mechanical inventions.
Michael also advises clients on branding strategies in the selection of new product names and logos, along with the enforcement of related IP rights through litigation. He manages and oversees domestic and foreign trademark prosecution efforts, and counsels clients on copyright issues.
As a former software engineer, Michael’s practice has a strong emphasis on the legal issues surrounding software. In addition to counseling on patent issues arising from software development, he provides advice on risk management in the use, distribution and contribution of software to open source projects.
Prior to entering the legal profession, Michael worked as a software engineer for a Fortune 500 company. His responsibilities included developing software for customizing drivetrain designs and controlling electronic instrumentation systems. Michael has developed software in C, object-oriented C, ADA, Pascal and various assembly languages.
Working as a software engineer prior to the law helps Michael assist his clients in differentiating their innovations throughout the patent process to build valuable assets. Michael’s practice today is at the intersection of the law and technology, where he remains dedicated to serving as a persuasive advocate and trusted adviser.
Michael has prepared and prosecuted patent applications and managed patent portfolios relating to the following technologies:
- Software: search engine algorithms, navigation systems, cryptographic algorithms for secure network transactions, signal processing for audio systems, cybersecurity monitoring
- Automotive: control systems for autonomous vehicles, wheelchair ramps and lifts for vehicles, automotive infotainment systems, hitch assemblies, vehicle hinge assemblies
- Healthcare: personal health record software, electronic medical record systems, electronic reaction monitoring for pharmaceutical manufacturing, medical imaging systems, blood monitors, reprocessing for endoscopes
- Consumer Products: paintball markers, airsoft guns, firearms, audio systems, hydroponic gardening systems, lighting fixtures, automated musical instruments
- Industrial: pumping systems, refrigeration systems, surge suppression systems, electronic equipment failure monitoring systems, drogues for pipe inspections, wire manufacturing
- Building and Construction: home automation, siding installation device, electronic locks, lock rekeying, padlocks, garage door control, electronic faucets, hand tools, light level control systems