- INSIGHTS & EVENTS
Professional and Community Involvement
Board president, Friends of the Lincoln Collection of Indiana
Former chair and board of trustees member, Manchester University
Director, Neighborhood Christian Legal Clinic
Former barrister and master, Benjamin Harrison American Inn of Court
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Indiana State Bar Association
Member, Allen County Bar Association
The Best Lawyers in America, 2007-2021; Lawyer of the Year, 2012
Indiana Super Lawyers, 2012-2019
Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars, Patent and Trademark star – Indiana, 2019
- Defended a manufacturer of strollers in consumer class action alleging consumer fraud and breach of warranty. On behalf of the client, achieved a favorable non-monetary class settlement.
- Represented a public utility in the defense of a multi-million dollar dispute with municipality over termination of 35-year lease of electric distribution/transmission system. As part of representation, guided the client through state court and agency litigation while managing media relations in widely publicized dispute and successfully achieved settlement of claim once valued at over $100 million at de minimis cost to company.
- Represented commercial furniture products manufacturer, successfully securing a trial verdict in an action seeking to enforce contractual right of first refusal related to sale of business
- An Indianapolis, Indiana, jury reached a unanimous verdict in favor of firm client, a life insurance company, in a trial in which the company was accused of improperly applying an exclusion on a life insurance policy. The six-day trial included wide-ranging scientific evidence and testimony related to the insured’s activities and death. The verdict saved the company more than $1 million.
- Defended a class action involving bonus and executive compensation claims arising out of sale of subsidiary. On behalf of the client, used denial of class certification and partial summary judgment to drive down ultimate settlement of the case.
- Represented a Taiwanese manufacturer that built power supplies used in mobile homes. The plaintiff alleged that client had copied its design for the power supply devices. The firm defeated plaintiff’s preliminary injunction motion and achieved a favorable settlement shortly after the Markman hearing.
- Represented an adaptive technology provider in the successful defense of a patent infringement claim. On behalf of client, firm attorneys instituted reexamination proceeding at the PTO resulting in all claims being cancelled. Decision was affirmed by the Board of Patent Appeals and Federal Circuit. Freedom Scientific, Inc. v. GW Micro, Inc., No. 8:08cv1365 (M.D. Fla. 2008).
- Defended a non-compete and tortious interference claim. Through vigorous prosecution of counterclaims, we were able to secure a favorable settlement for our client.
- Received an opinion from the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals affirming summary judgment of non-infringement in favor of firm client, PHD. The precedential opinion in Welker Bearing Co. v. PHD Inc. 550 F.3d 1090 (Fed. Cir.), explains "means-plus-function" patent claim limitations while confirming that the PHD does not infringe two patents asserted by Welker Bearing. Welker Bearing Co. v. PHD, Inc., No. 2:06cv13345 (E.D Mich. 2006).