Attorney Presentations | Firm-Sponsored Events
The FMLA and ADA can drive you crazy. "Chronic" conditions, intermittent leaves, last-minute absences, Monday/Friday leave abuse, 8 hour/40 hour restrictions, leaving the job to avoid overtime, using leave time for other reasons, incomplete or vague certifications; it's enough to make you throw up your hands in frustration. And if that's not enough, there's the ADA to deal with, too. Is there anything you can do about it?
You bet. That's what this seminar is all about. It's a half day of strategies you can implement from the first time you suspect someone needs FMLA or ADA leave until the day an employee leaves your employment. There are many “trap doors” for employers, but there’s a lot you can do if you know what you’re doing.
We’ll go step-by-step through the entire FMLA and ADA process and provide candid strategies for how you can stay out of trouble and protect your company.
Who should attend?
- Human resources professionals, whether “rookies” who are just learning about the FMLA or long-time professionals who want new strategies to solve pressing issues
- In-house counsel
- Leave administrators
Just a few of the many topics we’ll cover:
- First steps: What you must do at each step of the process
- Is it REALLY my obligation to identify FMLA/ADA issues?
- The difference between incomplete and vague certifications
- Suspected leave abusers: What to do with those you believe are games-players?
- The employment handbook/policy language you need for maximum protection
- How to comply with the ADA's reasonable accommodation and interactive process requirements
- How to make sure employees satisfy their obligations to you
- ADA requirements when FMLA has been exhausted
- How the EEOC will hammer you if you have the wrong practices/policies
- The most common FMLA/ADA mistakes that cause employers significant cost/expense/lawsuits
- Attendance and production bonuses and the FMLA
….and a whole lot more.
Presenter: Terry Dawson
Barnes & Thornburg
11 S. Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Thursday, June 22, 2017
Registration and Breakfast: 8:00 a.m. (Eastern)
Program: 8:30 a.m. - Noon
3.5 Hours CLE Credits Pending
3.5 Hours HRCI Credits Approved
This training is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to provide specific legal advice for any particular situation. Attendance at the training does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the presenters or Barnes & Thornburg, LLP. The training is not a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney, and you are urged to consult your own lawyer on any specific legal questions or situations you may have.