Rather than a year-end list looking backwards, I recently wrote a two-part article for InsideCounsel identifying six low-cost steps that every employer should consider taking in 2013. The 6 steps are:1. Focus on employee use of social media and policies that affect it.
2. Make a plan for beginning to manage business information on privately owned electronic devices.
3. Review your use of background checks.
4. Review key policies that leave no room for discretion.
5. Understand your insurance coverage for employment claims.
6. Schedule more training sessions. You can read about items 1-3 in more detail here, and items 4-6 in more detail here. These are steps that many employers need to take and, by doing so, can significantly reduce potential employee-related liabilities.