Cable, telephone, wireless, satellite and Wi-Fi technologies are changing the telecom landscape. The laws are attempting to keep up with the rapid changes. Our team tirelessly works with clients to identify strategic objectives for transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and advises on solutions to regulatory challenges and contract disputes.
Our telecom clients include carriers, broadcast station owners, satellite communications systems, internet service providers and content distributors, wireless and optical equipment providers, and other organizations who operate in the internet, telecommunications, and media sectors.
Our attorneys have a comprehensive understanding of the global telecom industry and the interplay of U.S. origin technology and equipment in element monitoring systems, network optimization, and core networks – in particular as they relate to compliance with U.S. export law. Our keen industry knowledge – blended with our group’s background in technology, IT, media and entertainment, and data security – enables us to tackle a wide scope of complex issues and provide meaningful advice to our clients.
Our goal is to establish sustainable alliances with our clients, resulting in aligned business objectives and mutual investment. We keep an eye on costs and work with clients to efficiently scope and budget their matters. We partner with client stakeholders at the matter level to determine pricing, timing, outcomes, and process expectations – resulting in cost certainty for our clients. Our “no-surprise” approach is grounded in proven processes and technology, with a cadre of lawyers trained on its use.
Our team regularly assists telecommunications entities with a broad range of services, including:
- Network regulations, licensing agreements, and global compliance standards
- Transnational assessments and investigations while adapting to different languages and business and organizational cultures
- Navigating and assessing the compliance risks of various telecommunications marketing and sales channels
- Mapping IT systems and compliance control points
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and state public utility commission rules and policies
- Representation before the FCC and state administrative agencies
- Purchase or sale of communication properties
- M&A, project finance and development
- U.S. and foreign patent portfolio development
- Competitor patent portfolio analysis, clearance, and advice
- Patent licensing, enforcement, and defense
- Trademark portfolio development, clearance, enforcement, and defense
- Trade secrets
- Employment counseling and litigation
- Collective bargaining
- Insurance recovery related to many types of claims, including general liability, D&O, employment practices liability (EPL) and first-party property claims
- Government services, including state and federal relations
- Federal and state consumer regulations and compliance
- Commercial litigation including antitrust, construction, and contract and licensing disputes
- Data privacy and security
- Commercial contracts
- Tax matters
The telecommunications group stays up to date on the latest industry developments. Our attorneys participate in some of the largest telecom conferences and trade shows each year, as well as meetings of international standard setting organizations. Our dedication to continual improvement and education means we can help you be more strategic and adaptable.