We rely on our attorneys' significant and unique practical experiences in virtually all phases of the business of sports to counsel our clients in matters ranging from sales and acquisitions and production, sponsorship, endorsement, employment, confidentiality, non-solicitation and non-competition agreements to lease transactions, litigation matters, intellectual property, employment matters and crisis management. Our attorneys are experienced in the complex nature of the relationship between entertainment, advertising and sports, and advise clients on licensing, media rights and talent agreements and endorsements deals.
Barnes & Thornburg sports attorneys are problem solvers. We have experience as counsel to the National Football League and serve as counsel to professional football, basketball, soccer and baseball players. Barnes & Thornburg attorneys are not certified to serve as sports agents and have carved out a role as a resource and often principal outside counsel to sports agents and sports agencies. Recognizing Barnes & Thornburg's commitment to serve as a resource and not as a competitor, sports agents have referred their clients to Barnes & Thornburg attorneys to handle some of the most sensitive, high-profile and groundbreaking matters that threaten their clients - careers and public reputations, such as threats of disclosure of confidential and sensitive information, threatened and actual litigation, and appeals of discipline regarding major sports - conduct, drug and steroid policies.
On the transaction side, we work with sports industry clients on:
- Financing, acquisition, investment in and sale of professional teams, franchises and other sports businesses
- Acquisition and disposition of athlete representation practices
- Film and television, endorsement, naming rights, sponsorship, product licensing and player contracts
- Insurance and risk management
- Event operations; stadium and arena construction, leasing and financing; naming rights; and tax matters